The Carlyle U.S. Buyout team engages in buyouts, privatizations and strategic minority investments in partnership with experienced management teams throughout the United States and Canada.
Since its formation, Carlyle has delivered top tier returns on its U.S. buyout investments. We target key industries in which we have significant expertise and take a disciplined approach to investing, seeking purchase prices that are lower than industry averages and conducting extensive due diligence on every transaction.
Established in 1990, the firm’s first buyout fund, Carlyle Partners I, L.P. (CP I), closed with $100 million in commitments from leading domestic and international investors.
Carlyle's second U.S. buyout fund, Carlyle Partners II, L.P. (CP II), was launched in 1996 and has $1.3 billion of equity commitments. Carlyle's third U.S. buyout fund, Carlyle Partners III, L.P. (CP III) was launched in 2000 and has $3.9 billion of equity commitments. The fourth U.S. buyout fund, Carlyle Partners IV, L.P. (CP IV) was launched in 2005 and has $7.8 billion of equity commitments.
The U.S. Buyout team’s approach to investing comprises the following five major principles:
- Consistent and Disciplined: We seek to make sound investments in good companies with strong management teams and structure our transactions with appropriate amounts of debt.
- Industry Focused: Since its inception, Carlyle has adopted an industry-focused approach to investing. We believe in-depth knowledge of specific industries improves our ability to source and create deals, conduct effective due diligence, develop strong relationships with management teams and identify potential buyers as part of a coherent exit strategy.
- Deal Creation / Auction Avoidance: Non-competitive situations or limited auction transactions account for many of the Carlyle investments to date. We generally avoid the full auction process, although we will participate in such auctions when we believe we have an edge over the competition.
- Value Added Partner: Investment professionals devote a significant amount of their time to working closely with portfolio companies. Each team uses its industry expertise and network to facilitate implementation of effective operational and marketing strategies by the portfolio companies.
- The One Carlyle Edge: We pursue investments only if we believe that we have an edge over our competition in the form of deep industry knowledge, global expertise, positive relationships with management teams, the ability to move quickly to commit to transactions, and/or the opportunity to participate in strategic joint ventures with corporate partners.
|Vipul H. Amin||Managing Director||Washington, DC||Industrial|
|James A. Attwood, Jr.||Managing Director||New York, NY||Technology & Business Services, Telecom & Media|
|Dayne Baird||Managing Director||Washington, DC||Aerospace, Defense & Government Services|
|Anita Balaji||Managing Director||New York, NY||Consumer & Retail|
|Katherine Barasch||Vice President||Washington, DC||Industrial, Transportation|
|Brian A. Bernasek||Managing Director||Washington, DC||Industrial|
|Wesley Bieligk||Managing Director||Washington, DC||Industrial|
|Mark Blaufuss||Operating Executive||Industrial, Transportation|
|Douglas V. Brandely||Principal||Washington, DC||Aerospace, Defense & Government Services|
|Joe Bress||Principal||New York, NY||Healthcare|
|Harrison Chilton||Vice President||Menlo Park, CA||Telecom & Media|
|Peter J. Clare||Managing Director||Washington, DC|
|Michael S. Clifton||Principal||Washington, DC||Telecom & Media|
|Campbell (Cam) R. Dyer||Managing Director||Washington, DC||Technology & Business Services, Telecom & Media|
|Andrew Eggert||Vice President||New York, NY||Consumer & Retail|
|Ashley S. Evans||Principal||Menlo Park, CA||Technology & Business Services, Telecom & Media|
|Russell C. Farscht||Managing Director||New York, NY||Technology & Business Services, Telecom & Media|
|Francis A. Finelli||Managing Director||Washington, DC||Aerospace, Defense & Government Services|
|Ian Fujiyama||Managing Director||Washington, DC||Aerospace, Defense & Government Services|
|Julius Genachowski||Managing Director||Washington, DC||Technology & Business Services, Telecom & Media|
|Steve Gray||Operating Executive||Technology & Business Services, Telecom & Media|
|Michael Haas||Managing Director||Washington, DC|
|Allan M. Holt||Managing Director||Washington, DC|
|Sandra Horbach||Managing Director||New York, NY||Consumer & Retail|
|Renee James||Operating Executive||Technology & Business Services|
|Mindy Mackenzie||Managing Director||New York, NY|
|Dr. Martin Madaus||Operating Executive||Healthcare|
|Tanaka J.J. Maswoswe||Principal||Washington, DC||Industrial|
|Patrick R. McCarter||Managing Director||Menlo Park, CA||Technology & Business Services, Telecom & Media|
|William H. McMullan||Managing Director||New York, NY||Healthcare|
|Alexander Mears||Vice President||Washington, DC||Aerospace, Defense & Government Services|
|Terry Myerson||Operating Executive||Technology & Business Services|
|Gregory M. Nikodem||Managing Director||Washington, DC||Energy & Power, Industrial, Transportation|
|Adam J. Palmer||Managing Director||Washington, DC||Aerospace, Defense & Government Services|
|Tyler Parker||Vice President||Menlo Park, CA||Technology & Business Services|
|Jay W. Sammons||Managing Director||New York, NY||Consumer & Retail|
|Robert R. Schmidt||Principal||New York, NY||Healthcare|
|Lúcia Soares||Managing Director||Menlo Park, CA||Technology & Business Services|
|Brandon Staub||Vice President||New York, NY||Consumer & Retail|
|Katie Storer||Vice President||New York, NY||Consumer & Retail|
|Martin W. Sumner||Managing Director||Washington, DC||Industrial|
|Anna Tye||Principal||Washington, DC||Technology & Business Services, Telecom & Media|
|Elliot J. Wagner||Managing Director||New York, NY||Consumer & Retail|
|Derrick L. Weatherspoon||Vice President||New York, NY||Consumer & Retail|
|Derek H. Whang||Principal||Washington, DC||Aerospace, Defense & Government Services|
|Robert Wheeler||Vice President||Washington, DC|
|Stephen H. Wise||Managing Director||New York, NY||Healthcare|
|Arjun Shah||Vice President||Washington, DC|
|Vogue International LLC||Consumer & Retail||
Coral Gables, FL U.S.
|Booz Allen Hamilton, Inc.||Aerospace, Defense & Government Services||
McLean, Virginia U.S.
|CommScope, Inc.||Technology & Business Services||
Hickory , NC U.S.
|Dunkin' Brands, Inc.||Consumer & Retail||
Canton, MA USA
|ARINC Incorporated||Aerospace, Defense & Government Services||
Annapolis, MD, USA
|Genesee & Wyoming, Inc.||Transportation||
Greenwich, CT, USA
|Axalta Coating Systems||Industrial||
Philadelphia, PA, USA
|Beats Electronics LLC||Consumer & Retail||
Santa Monica, CA