The Carlyle Group Releases its 2020 Impact Review
Report Showcases How Carlyle’s Approach to Building Better Businesses Has Enabled the Firm to Drive its Holistic Impact Strategy Forward Even During Challenging Times
WASHINGTON, DC – Global investment firm The Carlyle Group (NASDAQ: CG) today released its 2020 Impact Review, its annual report on its approach to creating impact through its investments. This year’s report focuses on Carlyle’s strategy for creating impact by building better businesses, which the firm defines through five key facets that it believes drive better businesses – diverse and inclusive teams, engaged employees, sustainable growth, climate resilience, and strong community ties.
The 2020 Impact Review demonstrates how Carlyle’s two main approaches over the last year have helped it advance its impact work even during the current COVID-19 pandemic, the economic recession it has triggered as well as the social justice movement sweeping the nation. These two approaches are:
- Investments in which Carlyle – through expertise, resources, capital, and time – partnered with management teams to drive measurable change on material ESG issues.
- Investments with a growth thesis predicated on an impact macro-theme.
Carlyle Co-Chief Executive Officers Kewsong Lee and Glenn Youngkin said, “From due diligence through exit, our impact approach at Carlyle is rooted in building better businesses from the bottom up and top down. The Carlyle 2020 Impact Review speaks to our expanded focus on this long-term strategy and demonstrates how our holistic approach is driving change forward even in challenging times, which further underscores the importance of this work. As we continue to prioritize our people and portfolio companies through this period, we believe this is a time to push forward on our impact strategy, and not pull back.”
Carlyle Global Head of Impact Megan Starr added, “Building off our core work of ESG integration, we believe our focus on collecting better data, setting and achieving ambitious goals for systemically important issues and innovating on the impact of private capital will allow us to use impact as a lens for finding value for our investors in this changing world.”
The Review details Carlyle’s investment theses and specific case studies of value-creation. Highlights include:
- Carlyle’s progress in creating diverse teams, engaged employees, sustainable growth, climate resilience and stronger communities.
- Carlyle’s strategy in using tailored company-specific data to identify risks and opportunities, create value creation plans, and measure progress over time. Notably, Carlyle identified a significant positive correlation between board diversity and annual earnings growth across its portfolio companies (page 84).
- How Carlyle’s capital, network and resources have empowered portfolio companies to deploy innovative products, services, and initiatives in response to COVID-19.
- Ways in which environmental, social and governance considerations are integrated into Carlyle’s investment process.
- Increased transparency and detail of Carlyle’s corporate ESG disclosures through the first Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) and Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) disclosures (pages 89-112).
About The Carlyle Group
The Carlyle Group (NASDAQ: CG) is a global investment firm with deep industry expertise that deploys private capital across four business segments: Corporate Private Equity, Real Assets, Global Credit and Investment Solutions. With $217 billion of assets under management as of March 31, 2020, Carlyle’s purpose is to invest wisely and create value on behalf of its investors, portfolio companies and the communities in which we live and invest. The Carlyle Group employs more than 1,775 people in 32 offices across six continents. Further information is available at www.carlyle.com. Follow The Carlyle Group on Twitter @OneCarlyle.
Phone: +1 (212) 813-4815
Phone: +1 (212) 813-4839