The Carlyle Group Releases 2018 Corporate Citizenship Report
14 Case Studies Show How “Tailored Strategies” Create Value
Carlyle Announces it is now Carbon Neutral
Washington, DC – Global alternative asset manager The Carlyle Group (NASDAQ: CG) today released its 2018 Corporate Citizenship Report, its eighth annual report. The 37-page document demonstrates through 14 case studies how tailored sustainability strategies help companies create more value than one-size fits all initiatives. The report also notes that in 2017, Carlyle became the first global alternative asset manager to achieve carbon neutral operations. Readers can explore the 2018 Corporate Citizenship Report at www.carlyle.com/citizenship.
Carlyle Co-Chief Executive Officers Kewsong Lee and Glenn Youngkin said, “As the firm enters its second decade of ESG leadership, sustainability initiatives have become an even more important component of our efforts to perform and create value for our investors. We are particularly proud to become the first global alternative asset manager to achieve carbon neutrality on a global basis.”
“This report further demonstrates the benefits of ESG value creation to improve customer satisfaction brand equity, operational efficiency and workforce strength,” said Carlyle’s Chief Sustainability Officer, Jackie Roberts. “Moreover, we have learned that strategies tailored to a company, its stakeholders, its sector and geography most effectively support business goals and environmental and social improvements.”
The report notes that Carlyle Europe Partners (CEP) is our first fund to provide ESG reporting at the portfolio company level for all LPs. In 2017, CEP augmented Carlyle’s global ESG goals and practices by introducing its own enhanced ESG framework, one which included establishing and monitoring company-specific ESG Key Performance Indicators for each controlled private equity investment.
Marco De Benedetti and Gregor Boehm, Co-Heads of Carlyle Europe Partners, said, “Over time, we have observed across our portfolio that businesses that identify and focus on the material ESG issues outperform those that do not. Our ESG framework gives us a systematic and meaningful way to monitor material ESG risks and identify ESG opportunities.”
The 2018 Corporate Citizenship Report provides an overview of Carlyle’s corporate citizenship activities and highlights sustainability efforts underway at a number of portfolio companies.
- How Carlyle integrates environmental, social and governance considerations into our investment process.
- How Carlyle helps portfolio companies understand and manage the intersection of environmental and social issues with their businesses.
- As of the close of 2017, Carlyle achieved net zero carbon emissions by measuring, reducing and offsetting Scope 2 and 3 carbon emissions for our firm, as verified by Bureau Veritas.
- Carlyle achieved a 100 percent rating from the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index, a national benchmarking survey and report on corporate policies and practices pertinent to LGBTQ employees.
- Case Study: 6000 Shoreline (North American real estate) installed an energy system that saves 103 metric tons of carbon per year with a 23% financial rate of return.
- Case Study: CUPA Group (European building products company) invested in a sustainable product line and generated 55% year-on-year sales growth.
- Fostering a diverse workforce – Carlyle’s incoming 2-year Associate class for Corporate Private Equity in the US has been at least 50% diverse by gender and race since 2015; with the 2019 Associate class at 63% diverse.
- How Carlyle – through its One Community program – supports its employees and invests in local communities through volunteer and wealth sharing programs.
* * * * *
About The Carlyle Group
The Carlyle Group (NASDAQ: CG) is a global alternative asset manager with $201 billion of assets under management across 324 investment vehicles as of March 31, 2018. Carlyle’s purpose is to invest wisely and create value on behalf of its investors, many of whom are public pensions. Carlyle invests across four segments – Corporate Private Equity, Real Assets, Global Credit and Investment Solutions – in Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East, North America and South America. Carlyle has expertise in various industries, including: aerospace, defense & government services, consumer & retail, energy, financial services, healthcare, industrial, real estate, technology & business services, telecommunications & media and transportation. The Carlyle Group employs more than 1,575 people in 31 offices across six continents.
# # #