The Carlyle Global Infrastructure Opportunity Fund (CGI) invests in infrastructure assets and related businesses in global developed markets such as North America, Europe and OECD Asia. These investments may include leveraged buyouts, joint ventures with strategic partners and privatizations of government-owned entities.
CGI invests in businesses and assets across infrastructure sectors, selecting opportunities that the team believes offer the best relative value given specific regional and local investment environments, as well as macroeconomic trends. These businesses and assets typically provide essential services, feature a dominant market position, have stable, inflation-linked cash flows and attractive regulatory environments as well as exhibit the potential for EBITDA margin expansion. CGI’s strategy is to actively manage the assets in which it invests and to utilize the value-creating approach used by Carlyle across its global private equity and natural resources investment platforms. The Fund focuses on middle-market opportunities and prefers investments in which it can obtain majority control or significant minority rights.
CGI will follow Carlyle’s time tested investment philosophy to pursue distinct infrastructure investments using the following principles:
- Discipline: We seek to make sound investments in good assets and businesses with strong management teams and structure our transactions with appropriate amounts of debt.
- Bespoke Deal Flow: We seek to originate proprietary investments where we have an edge by leveraging the relationships and expertise resident within Carlyle’s global platform. We generally avoid the full auction process, although we will participate in such auctions when we believe we have an edge over the competition.
- Low Volatility: We seek to minimize exposure to volatility from inflation, direct commodity exposure or other factors.
- Risk Management and Cash Yield: We target investment opportunities with significant downside risk protection and emphasis on cash flow realization where meaningful portion of the return is in the form of a current yield.
- Value Creation: We pursue investments only if we believe that we have an edge over our competition in the form of deep industry knowledge, global expertise, positive relationships with management teams, the ability to move quickly to commit to transactions, and/or the opportunity to participate in strategic joint ventures with corporate partners.
- Global Energy & Power: Electric and Gas Utilities; Contracted Power and Renewables; Energy Infrastructure
- Transportation & Government Services: Airports; Ports; Rail; Roads; Bridges; Public-Private Partnerships; Privatization of Government Services
- Water & Agriculture: Water Utilities; Desalinization Facilities; Agricultural Storage and Transport
Dedicated Infrastructure Team
The Carlyle Infrastructure team has seven professionals in Washington, DC and Melbourne with more than 75 years of aggregate infrastructure and energy experience.