The Carlyle Asia Buyout team engages in buyouts, privatizations and strategic minority investments in partnership with experienced management teams throughout Asia, generally excluding Japan.
Established in 1998, the firm’s first buyout fund focused on Asia, Carlyle Asia Partners, L.P. (CAP), closed with $750 million in commitments from leading domestic and international investors. The firm raised Carlyle Asia Partners II, L.P. (CAP II), its second Asian buyout fund (excluding Japan), at $1.8 billion in 2006. CAP II will conduct buyout and control investments in Asia, encompassing Australia, Greater China, India, Korea and Southeast Asia. The Carlyle Asia Buyout Group has made investments in Asian companies in a range of sectors including financial services, media and telecommunications, manufacturing and consumer.
The Asia Buyout team’s approach to investing comprises the following five major principles:
- Conservative and Disciplined : A conservative and disciplined investment philosophy produces the highest consistent returns. We seek to make sound investments in good companies with strong management teams.
- Industry Specialization: Since its inception, Carlyle has employed an industry-focused approach to investing. In-depth knowledge of specific industries improves our ability to source and create deals, conduct effective due diligence, develop strong relationships with management teams and identify suitable potential buyers as part of a coherent exit strategy.
- Deal Creation / Auction Avoidance: Non-competitive situations or limited auction transactions account for many of the Carlyle investments to date. We generally avoid the full auction process, although we will participate in such auctions when we believe we have an edge over the competition.
- Value Added Investor: Investment professionals devote a significant amount of their time to working closely with portfolio companies. Each team uses its industry expertise to facilitate implementation of effective operational and marketing strategies by the portfolio companies.
- The Carlyle Edge: We generally decline to make an investment unless we believe we have an edge over the competition such as industry knowledge and expertise, the ability to move quickly to commit to transactions, positive relationships with management teams and the experience and opportunity to participate in strategic joint ventures with corporate partners or coinvestments with other Carlyle funds.
|Tian Ai||Vice President||Beijing, China|
|Neeraj Bharadwaj||Managing Director||Mumbai, India|
|David J. Bluff||Managing Director||Sydney, Australia|
|Herman H. Chang||Managing Director||Shanghai, China|
|Rishabh Chindalia||Vice President||Mumbai, India|
|Janine Feng||Managing Director||Hong Kong, China|
|Manish Gaur||Director||Mumbai, India|
|Eric Goh||Vice President||Singapore|
|Nina Gong||Managing Director||Beijing, China|
|Le Guan||Director||Beijing, China|
|Eugene Hahm||Director||Seoul, Korea|
|Henry Hu||Vice President||Beijing, China|
|Ashish Karan||Director||Mumbai, India|
|Sunil Kaul||Managing Director||Singapore|
|Sanghyun Lee||Managing Director||Seoul, Korea|
|Helen Lian||Vice President||Beijing, China|
|Frank Lin||Vice President||Hong Kong, China|
|Wanlin Liu||Managing Director||Shanghai, China|
|William (Bill) Lo||Vice President||Jakarta, Indonesia|
|Kapil Modi||Vice President||Mumbai, India|
|Rahul Mukim||Vice President||Mumbai, India|
|Vikram Nirula||Managing Director||Mumbai, India|
|Alwin Poon||Managing Director||Hong Kong, China|
|Patrick Rodden||Director||Sydney, Australia|
|Patrick T. Siewert||Managing Director||Hong Kong, China|
|Min Sup Song||Vice President||Seoul, Korea|
|Dennis Wang||Director||Shanghai, China|
|Robby Winarta||Managing Director||Jakarta, Indonesia|
|Ling Yang||Managing Director||Shanghai, China|
|Xiang-Dong (X.D.) Yang||Managing Director||Hong Kong, China|
|Yi Yu||Director||Beijing, China|
|Gregory M. Zeluck||Managing Director||Hong Kong, China|
|Yuchen Zhang||Vice President||Shanghai, China|
|Justin Zhou||Director||Beijing, China|
|Judy Zhu||Director||Beijing, China|