- ABOUT CARLYLE
- Corporate Overview
- The Carlyle Edge
- Geographic Reach
- Portfolio Employees Map
- Industry Awards
- Corporate Videos
- Carlyle FAQ
Who We AreOur firm is global.Our expertise is deep.Our products are diverse.We work for our investors.We form partnerships.We invest wisely.We create value.
- OUR BUSINESS
We believe that being a good corporate citizen is good business practice and creates long-term value for our investors.
- MEDIA ROOM
- PUBLIC INVESTORS
- CREATING VALUE
Carlyle’s Global Alternative Asset Management Platform
We are one of the world’s largest and most diversified alternative asset management firms. We manage 128 distinct funds and 159 fund of funds vehicles that invest across four segments, 11 core industries and six continents. Our global size, scale and brand enable us to access opportunities in virtually every market around the world.
Carlyle's Business Segments
Corporate Private Equity
Global Market Strategies
Corporate Private Equity
Carlyle’s Corporate Private Equity segment, established in 1990 with our first U.S. buyout fund, has Assets Under Management of $63 billion and more than 250 investment professionals. Our 32 Corporate Private Equity funds are organized by geography or industry and are advised by separate teams of professionals who live and work in the markets where they invest. We believe this diversity of funds allows us to deploy more targeted and specialized investment expertise and strategies and offers our fund investors the ability to better tailor their investment choices. Our Corporate Private Equity teams have two primary areas of focus:
- Buyout Funds. Our buyout teams advise a diverse group of 22 funds that focus either on a particular geography (Asia, Europe, Japan, Middle East and North Africa (MENA), South America, Sub-Saharan Africa or the United States), or a particular industry (e.g., financial services).
- Growth Capital Funds. Our 10 growth capital funds are advised by three regionally-focused teams in Asia, Europe and the United States, with each team focused on middle-market and growth companies consistent with specific regional investment considerations. As of June 30, 2015, our growth capital funds had, in the aggregate, approximately $7 billion in AUM.
Carlyle’s $42 billion Real Assets segment, established in 1997 with our first U.S. real estate fund, has 128 investment professionals managing 17 carry funds and 9 NGP management fee funds and carry funds focused on real estate, infrastructure, energy and power. Our 8 real estate funds pursue investment opportunities in Asia, Europe and the United States, while our energy and power funds focus on buyouts, growth capital investments and strategic joint ventures in the midstream, upstream, oilfield services and power generation sectors.
Global Market Strategies
Carlyle’s Global Market Strategies segment, established in 1999 with our first high yield fund, has a group of 70 funds that pursue investment opportunities across various types of credit, equities and alternative instruments, and (with regards to certain macroeconomic strategies) currencies, commodities and interest rate products and their derivatives. These funds, with AUM of more than $36 billion and more than 200 investment professionals, include:
- Carry Funds. We have six carry funds in three different strategies: distressed and corporate opportunities (including liquid trading portfolios and control investments); corporate mezzanine (targeting middle market companies); and energy mezzanine opportunities (targeting debt investments in energy and power projects and companies).
- Hedge Funds. Through our 55% stake in Claren Road Asset Management, LLC we have two long/short credit hedge funds focusing on the global high grade and high yield markets. Through our 55% stake in Emerging Sovereign Group LLC, we have five emerging markets equities and macroeconomic hedge funds. Additionally, through our 55% stake in Vermillion Asset Management, LLC, we have six funds focused on commodities investment.
- Structured Credit Funds. Our 46 structured credit funds invest primarily in performing senior secured bank loans through structured vehicles and other investment products.
Investment Solutions helps clients meet their objectives through tailored portfolio construction and implementation. The Investment Solutions platform gives investors access to the large and complex universe of alternative investment strategies—private equity, real estate and hedge funds—on a global basis. Investment Solutions has $51 billion in assets under management and more than 100 investment professionals.
We assess client needs and build customized portfolios that allocate capital efficiently across our family of alternatives as well as direct access to proprietary Carlyle products.
Corporate Private Equity Solutions. AlpInvest provides investors with access to our global private equity program and related co-investment and secondary activities.
Real Estate Solutions. Metropolitan provides investors with access to multi-manager real estate funds and solutions with more than 85 fund managers in the United States, Europe, Asia and Latin America.
Hedge Funds Solutions. DGAM provides investors access to its direct trading business and an array of proprietary and third-party hedge funds around the world.