- ABOUT CARLYLE
- Corporate Overview
- The Carlyle Edge
- Illuminate Commentary
- Geographic Reach
- Portfolio Employees Map
- Industry Awards
- Corporate Videos
- Carlyle FAQ
Who We AreOur firm is global.Our expertise is deep.Our products are diverse.We work for our investors.We form partnerships.We invest wisely.We create value.
- OUR BUSINESS
- Find a Carlyle Team Member
- Board of Directors
- Executive Group
- Management Committee
- Operating Executives
Carlyle professionals collaborating seamlessly and selflessly across funds, industries and geographies to deliver the wisdom, knowledge and resources required to invest wisely and create value for our investors.
We believe that being a good corporate citizen is good business practice and creates long-term value for our investors.
- MEDIA ROOM
- News Release Archive
- Value Creation Case Studies
- Annual Reports
- Alerts & Subscriptions
- Corporate Videos
- Contact Us
- PUBLIC INVESTORS
- CREATING VALUE
Carlyle’s Global Alternative Asset Management Platform
We are one of the world’s largest and most diversified alternative asset management firms. We manage 129 distinct funds and 141 fund of funds vehicles that invest across four segments, 11 core industries and six continents. Our global size, scale and brand enable us to access opportunities in virtually every market around the world.
Carlyle's Business Segments
Corporate Private Equity
Global Market Strategies
Corporate Private Equity
Carlyle’s Corporate Private Equity segment, established in 1990 with our first U.S. buyout fund, has Assets Under Management of approximately $64 billion and more than 250 investment professionals. Our 32 Corporate Private Equity funds are organized by geography or industry and are advised by separate teams of professionals who live and work in the markets where they invest. We believe this diversity of funds allows us to deploy more targeted and specialized investment expertise and strategies and offers our fund investors the ability to better tailor their investment choices. Our Corporate Private Equity teams have two primary areas of focus:
- Buyout Funds. Our buyout teams advise a diverse group of 23 funds that focus either on a particular geography (Asia, Europe, Japan, Middle East and North Africa (MENA), South America, Sub-Saharan Africa or the United States), or a particular industry (e.g., financial services).
- Growth Capital Funds. Our 9 growth capital funds are advised by three regionally-focused teams in Asia, Europe and the United States, with each team focused on middle-market and growth companies consistent with specific regional investment considerations. As of September 30, 2014, our growth capital funds had, in the aggregate, approximately $5 billion in AUM.
Carlyle’s $46 billion Real Assets segment, established in 1997 with our first U.S. real estate fund, has 139 investment professionals managing 19 carry funds and 10 NGP management fee funds and carry funds focused on real estate, infrastructure, energy and power. Our 10 real estate funds pursue investment opportunities in Asia, Europe and the United States, while our energy and power funds focus on buyouts, growth capital investments and strategic joint ventures in the midstream, upstream, oilfield services and power generation sectors.
Global Market Strategies
Carlyle’s Global Market Strategies segment, established in 1999 with our first high yield fund, has a group of 68 funds that pursue investment opportunities across various types of credit, equities and alternative instruments, and (with regards to certain macroeconomic strategies) currencies, commodities and interest rate products and their derivatives. These funds, with AUM of approximately $39 billion and more than 200 investment professionals, include:
- Carry Funds. We have six carry funds in three different strategies: distressed and corporate opportunities (including liquid trading portfolios and control investments); corporate mezzanine (targeting middle market companies); and energy mezzanine opportunities (targeting debt investments in energy and power projects and companies).
- Hedge Funds. Through our 55% stake in Claren Road Asset Management, LLC we have two long/short credit hedge funds focusing on the global high grade and high yield markets. Through our 55% stake in Emerging Sovereign Group LLC, we have seven emerging markets equities and macroeconomic hedge funds. Additionally, through our 55% stake in Vermillion Asset Management, LLC, we have five funds focused on commodities investment.
- Structured Credit Funds. Our 44 structured credit funds invest primarily in performing senior secured bank loans through structured vehicles and other investment products.
We continue to build our Solutions segment in response to the increasingly complex investment decisions facing investors today. Our Solutions business, which originated with our 2011 acquisition of AlpInvest Partners, one of the world’s largest investors in private equity, helps investors allocate and access the full spectrum of alternatives. Solutions has $54 billion of assets under management and 179 investment professionals.
To further augment our Solutions platform, we added two more investment options with the acquisitions of Metropolitan Real Estate in late 2013 and Diversified Global Asset Management Corporation in early 2014. Combined with the strong foundation of AlpInvest, the acquisitions expand our Solutions platform to offer investors the ability to build highly customized portfolios and allocate capital efficiently across hedge funds, private equity and real estate strategies.
Our partnership with AlpInvest has significantly expanded our global asset management business and provides our fund investors with access to our global private equity program and related co-investment and secondary activities. The firm’s investments span the full spectrum of private equity: buyouts, venture capital, growth capital, mezzanine and distressed investments.
Established in 2002 and based in New York City, Metropolitan Real Estate is one of the largest managers of indirect investments in global real estate. Metropolitan has raised more than $2.6 billion across its investment programs in more than 80 managers. Its more than 180 real estate fund investments include new partnerships, secondary interests and co-investments in the United States, Europe, Asia and Latin America.
Toronto-based Diversified Global Asset Management Corporation (DGAM) was founded in 2004 and currently manages and advises on $3.2 billion of hedge fund assets. DGAM’s strong investment and operational risk management has contributed to its consistent performance since inception.